Thursday, June 26, 2008

Tashkent, Uzbekistan

I spent almost a day in Tashkent, the capital of Uzbekistan. I stayed at a wonderful B&B (Uzbekistan is known for it's B&Bs) next to the big Chorsu bazaar. While buying a Coke I met a young Uzbek and he offered to show me around the city during the afternoon of my arrival. Tashkent is a sprawling city with monuments everywhere. It has a really good underground metro, which has beautiful Soviet-designed stations. I got stopped by an official in one metro station, but didn't get hassled.

This morning I went to the Tashkent bus station and got a mashrutka (shared taxi/mini-van)to Samarkand, the commercial capital of Central Asia during the time of the Silk Road. So that's where I am right now.

I don't know why the Kazakhs hate the Uzbeks so much(an Uzbek told me the feeling is not reciprocated), but give me an Uzbek any day of the week unless we are playing a sport because then I probably want a Kazakh. The Uzbeks have been so much nicer and more open. Also, more Uzbeks seem to know English, which for me is a huge positive. I've been in Uzbekistan just over two days and I can tell you without a doubt that Uzbekistan is much better for traveling and backpacking then Kazakhstan.

Uploading pictures probably won't happen while I'm out here. The computers and the connections make it very difficult. Sorry guys.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Drill a well yet?

vkp said...

With prices over $140 per bbl and traveling on a tight budget have made it difficult to get deals done. My current strategy is trying to find a local girl whose family is well-connected.