Sunday, June 15, 2008

First full day in Baku

I spent some time today just walking around Baku and checking out a couple of the main spots. I walked around Fountain Square and the park, which serves as a waterfront along the Caspian. A lot of people were out today since it was Sunday and tomorrow is some kind of holiday. I think it's the 85th anniversary of Heydar Aliyev, but his birthday was last month and he's been dead for a few years. It doesn't really matter. I'm up for anything to celebrate Heydar!











I'll probably spend most of the week here in Baku not because I think it's such a great place (although I have to say this city has surprised me a little bit), but I can't leave until I get another visa to Kazakhstan. So I've got to spread out the activities to give myself something to do over the next few days.

I got my backpack from the airport and was able to take a shower and change clothes, arguablythe most important thing I've done today!

Amy, I think I am have the gear to post pictures, but the PC at the hostel is seriously old, uses a dial-up connection and doesn't have the right ports and things. I promise I'll get some pictures up here.

1 comment:

emily1616 said...

So what do the "main spots" in that region include? I'm with Amy, you need to get the camera cable so we can see this, or you're going to have to be a very descriptive writer. This is my virtual vacation! Haha, I hope you're having fun!