Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Some final thoughts

Privet,

I heard someone has been complaining about my lack of recent updates.  Well Dr. Perry, here are some final thoughts on my trip through the Stans.

First off, it's good to be back home.

I had a lot of fun in Baku, Uzbekistan and Turkmenistan... Kazakhstan not so much.  Probably not coincidentally, Kazakhstan was the only place where there weren't many backpackers or hostels. It was a struggle to keep within my budget during my time there and I even had to carry around my 10kg backpack around Almaty for an entire day.

My favorite place was Uzbekistan, specifically Samarkand and Bukhara, and the Gas Crater in Turkmenistan.  Uzbekistan is, without a doubt, the most tourist friendly (lodging and sights) of any of the Stans. One word to describe Turkmenistan is weird.

People have been asking me if I met any interesting people.  I met a bunch and I think the reason is because it's probably a certain kind of person (recognizes the uniqueness or has a special interest in the region) that decides to backpack through the relatively unknown countries of Central Asia.  I met a couple from Israel that had been backpacking for 4 1/2 years!  They had even stopped for a year in Shanghai and took on jobs in order to earn enough to continue traveling.  I also travelled with a New Yorker in the middle of a year long trip around the world.  He had quit his job as a corporate lawyer and decided to travel for a year before deciding what to do with the rest of his life.  He carried around a hookah (shisha) that he bought in Iran and set it up every night.  It was a huge hit with all the truckers at the truckstop in the middle of the Karokam Desert.  For all the NYCers out there, he throws a huge Halloween party every year.  If you want an invite let me know.

Some tips on traveling in Central Asia in no particular order other than how they came to me...
  1. Spend very little time in Kazakhstan - there's not a lot to do outside of mountain trekking, which can be done in Kyrgyzstan for less money
  2. Try to have visas arranged before going to Central Asia.  I'd recommend a company called StanTours based in Almaty if you want honest and knowledgeable visa support.
  3. In Turkmenistan focus on the Gas Crater and Ashgabat.
  4. In Uzbekistan stay at the B&Bs - even the cheapest ones are very clean and comfortable and they are a great place to meet other travelers.
  5. Learn Russian or travel with someone that knows Russian.  You can get around with just a phrase book, but it's tough. 
  6. Be prepared to spend at least $30 per day if you are not couch surfing (couch surfing is illegal in Uzbekistan and Turkmenistan).
  7. Crossing borders overland sucks.  It takes a lot of time and sometimes money, but the worst part is the way these officials act like they are the most important people in the world and the security of their nation rests on their shoulders.  The whole border thing can be extremely frustrating, but it can make for some great stories afterwards.
  8. Most important - Don't plan too much! Nothing ever worked out the way I had planned. You've got to play it by ear.
  9. Vodka should be taken after meals to kill the bacteria from the food that can make you sick. It worked for me. 
I hope you guys enjoyed reading about my trip through the Stans as much as I enjoyed actually being there.  The trip was a great experience and outside of the time in Kazakhstan I had a lot of fun.  Take care and I'll see you guys later.

Spasibo,
Vinod

2 comments:

Peter and Anne said...

Vinod,

Good news and bad news:

Good news is that you had a great time on your trip through the Stans. Bad news is that you made it back! I was hoping you'd get picked up at one of the border crossings and placed in a Stan-like prison. :)

I had lost the link to your site so I unfortunately didn't get to read during your trip. It only dawned on me to get the site from Vineetha yesterday....enjoyed reading though!

Did you find a place in Houston yet? Also, when does work beging? If you've got time before you have to start and have some left over traveling money, make a trip up here. Or save it for the winter..best skiing I've experienced!

Peter and Anne said...

Oh yeah, this is Peter.