Saturday, June 28, 2008

Samarkand, Uzbekistan and SHOTS!

I've been in Samarkand (the commercial capital of Central Asia during the heyday of the Silk Road and also the homeland of Amir Timur) for a couple of days now and seen all the main spots. The Registan, the center of Samarkand at its height, is amazing. This is when I'd love to be able to upload photos. There also a bunch of mosques and mausoleums around all dating from 13-15th centuries. This is really nice, laidback town. Any trip to this part of the world must include a few days in Samarkand and its B&Bs.














Last night, another American and I went to the most popular chaikhana (simple restaurant serving street food) in Samarkand across from the Registan for dinner and a few beers. When we were leaving the owner asked us to sit down and chat for a few minutes. The other American spoke Russian so he translated during the conversation. The few minutes turned into many and after rounds of toasts (with shots of vodka of course) to friendship, Uzbekistan, America, the Registan and other stuff we were somehow able to make it back to the B&B in the middle of the night. Needless to say, this morning I had my first hangover of the trip.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Vinod -
I've been out, so had a chance to catch up on your blog this morning. Having been to some of these spots, it was really interesting to hear what you thought of them....particularly Baku and Almaty. Ilham and I are pretty tight, so I appreciated your positive comments on him. Never been to Uzbekistan...from what you describe, sounds like I should have made the trip. A little advice - don't crawl under too many border fences....

vkp said...

hey bossman, my guess is things have changed a lot since your days in the Stans. That said, the toilet paper still sucks!

Anonymous said...

Be sure to clean under your fingernails, then.

Anonymous said...

If they have toilet paper, then things have improved....